Monday 13 March 2017

Musical Monday #126

'Mothers' is actually a surprisingly difficult theme when looking for musical numbers.  I can find a dozen about fathers, but films very rarely focus on mothers.  Which is odd, what with mothers being such a major thing in the real world.  Literally everyone had a mother at one point and everyone must have an opinion on theirs, so why are they considered so much less interesting than fathers by Hollywood?  Well, I already know the answer to that one.

I can think of one musical though in which a character is absolutely obsessed with his mother.  Too obsessed, in fact.

Blue Skies from The Jazz Singer
Performed by Al Jolson
Written by Irving Berlin

I still think it's a big cheat that this is referred to as the first 'talkie'.  More like the most noisy silent movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.